Room Scan by Locometric is a free cool app I found for the iPhone that will draw the floor plans of real rooms for you. It can be a great tool for Architectural Visualization when you are trying to recreate real world rooms and don’t have floor plans.
How it Works:
You take your iPhone and tap it once along each wall of a room walking around the parameter. The app will tell you when to move on after it has it’s reading. You keep on doing this until you finish the room. The app then processes it and presents you with a floor plan that you can export in jpg format. Each wall also has the length to the nearest 10 cm.
I made the one to the right from my living room / kitchen / dining room in just a couple of minutes.
All I would need to do from here is to load it into Blender and trace the walls and insert the windows and doors. The Pro version ($4.99) will let you add windows and doors as you are creating the floor plan. Then when you’ve scanned all of the rooms you can stitch them together to create the floor plan for the entire floor (Pro).
The app is free (not for commercial use).
From the app page:
• The floor plan appears in seconds, with approximate wall lengths and floor area.
• Unlike some floor plan apps, RoomScan can draw floor plans of complex rooms just as easily as small rectangular rooms.
• Measurements are estimated to the nearest 10cm (or half a foot).
• For super-accurate instant floor plans, use RoomScan in conjunction with a laser measure. Just tap a wall on the finished floor plan and input your measurement. RoomScan intelligently combines its own measurements with yours to create a perfect plan.
• Add doors as you walk around the room by touching the door frames, and select from a variety of door types.
• Rooms are automatically connected together to create a plan of the whole floor.
• Export as an image or choose from a variety of advanced export options, including DXF for CAD software. There will be a small fee for advanced export options in the future.
• Choose your own custom floor plan colours.
• Measurements are available in metric, feet & inches and East Asian units